We have to double-check your registration and make sure this is not an automated entry in our system. Please complete the test below...
Work: 59 x 48,5 cm
Frame: 72 x 64,3 cm
Literature: The work is included in the oeuvre catalogue by Ineke Bruynooghe: I. Bruynooghe, Het oeuvre van/The works of Portielje Jan - Gerard - Edward, Roeselare, 2001, p. 49, nr. 25. On pp. 46-50, Bruynooghe makes clear how Jan Portielje himself did not refer to Oriental beauties, but rather to ladies of Southern European origin.
Exhibition: Campo & Campo, Antwerp, Belgium, 22 February - 16 March 2002.
Provenance: Christie's London, 2 December 1998, lot 340 (see also the label at the reverse); De Vuyst, Lokeren, Belgium, 11 March 2006, lot 521 (hammer price: 11.000€).
- The painting without doubt in good and hangable condition.
- The borders with the usual negligible damage due to the framing.
- The reverse with different labels (auction and exposition labels) and wax seals.
- Some minor overpaint and restoration, especially the background in the left top corner and in the right bottom corner.
- A few minor retouches, the most prominent on the left side of the lady's lips.
- Right top corner with a superficial scratch and negligible damage just above the head of the lady.